I will be speaking at the Jacob T. Schwartz International School for Scientific Research week long Lipari School on Computational Social Science , July 17 – July 23, 2011, Lipari Island, Italy.
This year’s program is dedicated to Computational Social Science: Text and Decisions
- Claudio Cioffi-Revilla: Director of the Center for Social Complexity, Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study, George Mason University, Washington DC.
- Huan Liu: Community Detection and Mining in Social Media [abstract]
School of Computing, Informatics, and Decision Systems Engineering, Arizona State University
- Roel Popping: Computer-assisted text analysis, and the relevance of decision making and text mining [abstract]
Department of Sociology, University of Groningen
- Marc A. Smith: Charting Collections of Connections in Social Media: Maps and Measures with NodeXL [abstract]
Chief Social Scientist, Connected Action Consulting Group
- Calogero Zarba: Introduction to matrix algebra [abstract]
Neodata Intelligence s.r.l., Italy
- Alessandro Pluchino: Netlogo: An agent based simulation programmable environment [abstract], University of Catania, Italy
My good friend and colleague Jeff Ubois recently edited and released a volume entitled Conversations on Innovation, Power and Responsibility for the Fondazione Giannino Bassetti. Some of my comments on the topic of innovation from a conversation with Jeff are included in the volume which collects a wide range of thoughts about the nature and consequence of technical change.
Table Of Contents
About the Question
Choosing Subjects: Where Does Responsibility Matter Now?
Genetics And Healthcare
Thomas Murray, The Hastings Center
Ignacio Chapela: Drawing a Boundary Around the Lab
Arthur Caplan: Innovation as Politics
David Magnus & Mildred Cho: True Fictions
Christine Peterson: Nanotechnology and Enhancement
Lawrence Gasman: Nanomarkets
Robotics And Computing
Ronald Arkin: Embedding Values in Machines
Jeff Jonas: Applying the UN declaration of human rights
Marc Smith: Invention, mitigation, accounting and externalities
Mikko Ahonen: Open Innovation … and Radiation Safety
Roberto Verganti: Varieties of Design Innovation
Michael Twidale: IRBs, Design, Empowerment,
My comments from the volume are after the fold…
Continue reading →